The Vigilance Awareness Week is observed from 26th to 31st October by CVC this year.
The theme for this year is “Preventive vigilance as a tool of good governance”.
The goal of good governance is transparency, accountability, competitiveness and fairness.
The same could be achieved by our public institutions and organisations by practicing “preventive vigilance” as a management tool.
Preventive Vigilance is adoption of a package of measures to improve systems and procedures to reduce and eliminate corruption and discretion.
It helps in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of the employees as well of the organisations by promoting clean bank transactions, productivity, promptness, professionalism and ethical practices.
Preventive Vigilance is NOT an Investigation but it is prevention.
As said, prevention is better than cure, so, preventive vigilance is more critical than punitive vigilance.
Purpose of Preventive Vigilance :
-to bring about higher order of morality and rationality in public services
– to reduce corruption
Sources for Preventive Vigilance :
– audit reports, CAG reports, technical reports, etc.
– complaints recieved from various sources
– to study and examine thoroughly the complex set of procedures to find loopholes.
Measures or steps of Preventive Vigilance :
– curtailing discretion,
– sentisitizing the officials,
– educating the officials,
– simplifying the procedures
– promoting awareness among the clients,
– ensuring Physical Security in all matters of cash or cheques or receipt books.
– not entrusting any single executive for purchase
– contract terms should be in detail and specific.
In my opinion, preventive vigilance if utilised as a management tool in all organisations as an internal mechanism shall surely help in good governance.
With Great Love,
Er. Amit Yadav
Life is easy…☺